Hi! Sorry I’ve been so quiet lately! With school starting up and the big move looming, I’ve been a little preoccupied. I thought today I would share my top 10 fitness let peeves:
10. No gym etiquette: re-rack your weights. Wipe down your machine. No hogging dumbbells. Come on…be nice!
9. Using machines incorrectly: I’m really not much of a machine user, but if you insist on using the tricep push down machine, stop hunching your shoulders. If you’re using the bicep curl machine, stop flinging your hips around. Got it? Good.
8. Trainers that spend more time looking in the mirror than at their clients: there’s a trainer at my gym that literally fixes her hair for the entire 50 min session with clients. I’ve watched clients attempts exercises that were WAY too difficult, but she was busy addressing her ponytail. I was appalled. Remember: trainers are not all created equal. Research what you want and don’t be afraid to move around until you find a good match!
7. Talking on the phone: I know really important things are happening…but please stop yaking on the phone next to me on the treadmill. I don’t care about whatever gossip you’re spreading, you’re distracting and #basic.
6. Girls that don’t sweat: WTF??? I literally start sweating as soon as I get out if my car in the parking lot…why isn’t your mascara running down your cheeks like a normal human?? These chicks might be the 8th wonder of the world.
5. Lifting weight that’s too heavy: if you want to get an injury, totally lift an obscene amount of weight with horrible form. Make sure to make a ton of grunting sounds, too, so everyone makes sure to see you.
4. Lifting weight that’s too light: “I lift 3 times a week with 3 pound weights! I don’t know why I’m not seeing any results!”. This is seriously a huge issue for me as a trainer. LADIES: heavy weights will not make you a man. Being “toned” isn’t a thing. You need to build lean muscle for definition, which means lifting weights. You should pick a weight that you can complete each exercise for 10-12 reps. The last 2-3 should be hard, without sacrificing form. I PROMISE you won’t get huge. Unless you start taking testosterone supplements…then that’s your problem. You can read more into my heavy lifting rant here.
3. Unsolicited advice: I know I might look like a helpless little chick in the weight room and you probably think that I don’t know what I’m doing, but unless I ask for help, don’t give me advice on curl form while you swing your hips around like a weirdo. I got this, ok?
2. Cardio bunnies: stop doing program 3 at level 4 five days a week and complaining that you’re not seeing results. Your body will adapt and soon that identical workout everyday is basically useless. Also, stability, flexibility and strength training will increase your overall health and fitness level, not just burn x amount of calories.
1. Justifying a meal with a workout: this is a tough one. Sure, exercising burns calories. You can eat more when you exercise more. Your metabolism increases as your lean muscle mass increases. But PLEASE don’t make excuses to eat something delicious. If you want that piece of cake, or slice of pizza, or entire bag of jelly belly’s, you should eat it because you want it. You do not need to justify that treat to anyone. Working out should be fun and satisfying on its own, it shouldn’t be a torture device to justify eating food and being a human.
What are your biggest fitness pet peeves?? Leave them in the comments!